Posts Tagged ‘makeup tips’
Do you have an angel on your shoulder or the devil in your head?
Are you feeling naughty? Do you want to vamp it up? Do you want to dance on a table top tonight? Are you wearing your leather pants? Channel Kat Von D. Bring out your inner Bettie Page. Sex it up, kitten! Make those boys howl. Here are our favorite bad gal picks:
Stila Smudge Pot in Black; use as a liner to achieve a sexy cat eye look, or apply all over the lid and crease for a high-impact smoky eye.
Stila Eye Shadow Pan in Pewter; rim the inner corners of your eye and use as liner on the bottom of the eye to achieve a sultry, smoky look.
Too Faced Lash Injection in Pitch Black; create a powerful lash with this high-impact mascara. With a flick of the specially-designed wand your lashes will be injected with massive volume and length. Wink wink!
DuWop Lip Venom 2nd Sin; pump up the volume on those juicy lips sans injections. In a matter of moments you’ll feel and look as sexy as Angelina Jolie.
bareMinerals Vanessa Buxom Big and Healthy Full Color Lip Polish; red lips are the epitome of sex appeal. Add depth and oomph with a rich burgundy wine hue to yours, and since you’re feeling bold and daring mix red lips with smoky eyes for a Goth-inspired bad gal look.
SpaRitual Nail Lacquer in Mood; gunmetal silver nails stand out from the French-tipped crowd.
Are you feeling girly? Are you baking cupcakes? Are you a refined, elegant girl at the Kentucky Derby? Drinking high noon tea with mother? Wearing your Tiffany jewels? Channel Audrey Hepburn and Jackie O, my doll. Make your prince swoon. Here are our favorite sweet angel picks:
Stila Eye Shadow Pan in Starlight; illuminate the eyes with a hint of sparkle.
Too Faced Lash Injection Pinpoint in Hot Chocolate; lengthen, separate and define each lash with this pretty brown shade for a doe-eyed look. Bat those lashes, darling.
bareMinerals Blush in Sorbet; bring out the rosy glow in your cheeks, this blush provides a healthy, natural look, as if you’re really blushing.
Philosophy The Supernatural Superglossy in Smell the Roses; provides shiny, pink and kissable lips. Formulated with spf 15 to provide broad spectrum sun protection and antioxidants to help keep lips looking young and healthy.
SpaRitual Nail Lacquer In The Buff or SpaRitual Nail Lacquer Light Hearted for sugary, natural-looking fingernails.
Running late for a very important date? Keep these time saver beauty tips in mind and you’ll be gorgeous on the go!
Simply dust blush on the apples of your cheeks for a healthy glow. Pick a vivid pink for flirty appeal. We adore Too Faced Brightening Blush La Vie En Rose.
Taupe shadow makes eyes brighter and is a universal flattering shade. You’ll look put together with out all the fuss. Try bareMinerals Glimmer Eyeshadow- Queen Tiffany.
Use liner to make lips appear fuller. Pick a shade that matches your natural lip tone. Line just outside of your natural lip line and apply a lighter colored gloss on top. Perfectly pouty lips in sixty seconds or less! I love, love, love DuWop Liptone Tempo liner paired with Stila Kitten Silk Shimmer Gloss.
Select hues that make your eyes pop. Apply color theory techniques: Rich browns make blue eyes bluer, purples make green eyes pop, and brown or hazel eyes shine in gold or bronze. DuWop EyeCatcher Shadow comes in three different shades, each utilizing basic color theory to bring out the best in blue, green, and brown eyed beauties.
Be bronzed and beautiful. A few strokes of bronzer works wonders. Effortlessly look well rested and golden, a trip to the Caribbean is no longer required. Us California girls have a few secret weapons in our beauty arsenal, bareMinerals Faux Tan All Over Face Color bronzing powder, TanTowel 3 Step Tan-The Perfect Tan self tanning kit, and my all time fave Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Multi Shimmer Dry Oil- Golden Shimmer Spray.
Lip stain is an easy apply and forget about it product. It withstands a full day at the office and even extends into happy hour! The color stays put, simply refresh with a sheer gloss on top. We like Stila Cherry Crush for beautiful berry stained lips.
Metallic eye shadow instantly adds glamour to any day rain or shine! Even if you didn’t have time to apply foundation, a touch of gold, silver, or bronze shadow will liven up your complexion. bareMinerals Glimmer Eyeshadow TrueGold, Stila Eye Shadow-Twilight, or Stila Eye Shadow Trio- Bronze Glow are tried and true favorites.
One thing that will always be in fashion is healthy glowing skin. To obtain this you must first establish the basics. You can start off with a gentle yet effective cleanser, a treatment, moisturizer, and eye cream. Also a weekly exfoliating product will keep your skin soft, smooth, and makeup ready. You can use peel pads that contain AHA’s like glycolic acid, or a retinol treatment for a skin boost. For sensitive skin types try lactic acid or an enzyme peel. After you have used the right skin care products, check out these easy makeup looks that will have you looking great just in time for summer.
- Watercolor for eyes – This trend is hitting the runways, but would also look great for anyone who wants to add a little pow to their makeup routine. Watercolors in soft pastels are a great way to layer on colors, making sure to blend properly of course. Shades of pink, blue, and purple are among the most popular colors on the canvas this season. Try Stila Eye Shadow Duo – Orchid. Also think cream or mineral shadows for a soft easy to blend look.
- Pop of color on lips – the rest of your face should look sheer and muted. From magazines to makeup bags, the use of rich bold lip colors and sheer cheeks with minimal makeup on the eyes is among the most popular trend. The look is almost pin-up girl like, but you can be more modern by adding a coral or deep pink to your lips instead of that fire engine red. For a rich red try NUXE Lip Gloss Prodigieux Nutri-Protector Lip Gloss in Charismatic Red.
- Loads of mascara – extra long lashes. This look never goes out of style, who wouldn’t want glorious lashes! Try this one- Too Faced Lash Light.
- Blushing cheeks – in rose tones. The rose tones take the color pallet this summer. They look great on eyes, but especially lovely on the cheeks. Anyone can pull off a subtle yet romantic look with just a few swipes of blush using an over sized brush for easy application. Try Colorescience Retractable Blusher Brush – Apple Of My Eye. This is a medium rosy red with a built in brush that will provide a flawless finish.
- Sculpting make-up – This technique has been used in movies and on the red carpet for years. How do you think check bones appear out of thin air? They get contoured and sculpted. Round cheeks can also be camouflaged, and the results are dangerously stunning. The trick is to use a foundation and light powder, then highlight cheeks in brownish shades. Try bareMinerals Warmth All Over Face Color for a cheek contour.
Also take note that apparently sparkle and glitter are so last season. You don’t want to look like a 1980’s senior prom queen so remember less is more. Pick one main trend and keep the rest understated. You will be on your way to glowing skin and whimsical summer nights in no time.
Inspiration comes from many sources. I find mine through literature, fashion campaigns in glossy magazines, music and film, sunny weather, tasty food, and good company. I found my latest inspiration while shopping H&M’s new garden collection. It’s fresh and pretty, ultra feminine, sultry, and bohemian. Shopping is my vice, and when I shop I must have one of everything, so let’s just say my summer wardrobe is complete (as of now). But my summer make-up kit is a bit lacking. So I’ve taken this opportunity to tailor some pretty summer make-up looks and share them with you and inspire you to make this summer your best.
Dewy skin is pretty for summer, and hydration is key. Use a water-based tinted moisturizer to even out your skin tone and impart a natural glow to the skin. I love Somme Institute Treat and Tint; it provides a sheer finish and has anti-aging benefits as well as sunscreen protection, a must for summer!
Use a cream blush on the apples of your cheeks to bring your face to life. Stila’s Convertible Color cream blushes create a healthy flush and buildable coverage for as much (or as little) drama as you like. I’m digging Peony and Lillium.
Dust a bit of powder all over your face and brighten up with a bit of bronzer to complete your canvas. BareMinerals Mineral Veil is a great choice of powder as it’s light and breathable and provides a very smooth, silky finish to the skin. NUXE Poudre Éclat Prodigieux Multi-Usage Compact Bronzing Powder is a customer favorite because it provides a true tan tone, versus the orange hue that’s typically associated with bronzing powders.
Use shimmery beige, nude or champagne shadow all over the lid for a natural look. Winter’s smoky eye and spring’s brown eye are a bit harsh for the light summer weather, so keep the eyes simple and fresh. Stila Eye Shadow Trio Bronze Glow has three neutral, shimmery shades that outlast the hot weather. Apply a little mascara to the upper lashes to make your eyes really pop. I like bareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara in Black.
Keep the lips simple and kissable. Korres Lip Butters give a sheer wash of color while softening the lips; I can’t resist Jasmine and Pomegranate.
Sexy it up a bit! Your skin should be dewy and soft as in the daytime- but if you prefer a bit more coverage for the evening, incorporate a primer into the regimen. Layer it on top of your tinted moisturizer, before you apply the cream blush. We like Colorescience About Face, which reduces the appearance of fine lines and pores, while leaving skin looking youthful, soothed and radiant. Skip the mineral powder and apply a bit of shimmer powder instead- I absolutely love Too Faced Absolutely Invisible Translucent Powder in Candlelight, it provides a really gorgeous glow and makes the skin look youthful and polished.
Choose either a dramatic eye look or a dramatic lip for the evening. For eyes, layer on a shimmer shadow and contour the eye area with a deeper tone, Stila’s Twig is a really pretty shade of shimmering earthy brown. Line the eye with a brown liner to bring out the eye a bit further, and finish the look with two coats of mascara. If you want extra drama apply some falsies to the end of the lash line for a wispy, flirty look.
If you want a sexy pout, pump it up with a plumper first. DuWop Prime Venom is a matte balm that will smooth and plump the lip while providing a great canvas for lip color. Berry shades are sexy for a sultry summer night, Too Faced Lip Of Luxury Lipstick – Living In Sin is a pretty color that makes teeth look super white.
Keep the eyes soft and simple (like the daytime look) if you’re sporting a berry pout.
Cheers to a gorgeous summer and a beautiful you!
Ahhh… the warm weather is here. Break out the sandals and sunscreen. Lose the heavy foundation and lighten up with these warm weather tricks:
Opt for tinted moisturizer instead of traditional foundation. Sheer, see-through coverage with a hint of hydration is the ultimate product for hot weather. Most tinted moisturizers not only offer tint and moisture but also pack antioxidants, minerals and sunscreen. I’m in love with Somme Institute Treat and Tint. It contains ingredients that repair sun damage, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, treat and prevent moderate to severe acne and rosacea, as well as significantly improve skin discoloration, tone, texture and clarity.
Those of you that read the blog know that I love lip and cheek stains. They’re super versatile, flattering, easy to use and can provide either a very natural effect or a very dramatic one. Use a liquid or gel lip/cheek stain on the inner rim of your lips for that ‘just-ate-a-cherry-popsicle’ look. It’s simple and sexy. For a classic red fool-proof lip outline your lip line with the stain and fill in the volume of the entire lip for old Hollywood glamour. Finish it off with a clear gloss for some extra va-va-voom. Giddy red cheeks courtesy of a stain outlast humidity, sweat and water and unlike traditional blushes that streak, stain will stay on until it’s washed off with a facial cleanser. Don’t wear dramatic cheeks with dramatic lips (unless you’re into the clown trend). Do wear sheer lips and sheer cheeks together for an effortless summer cool.
Try Stila’s Convertible Colors or Stila Cherry Crush.
Stay away from excessively dark eye color in the warm weather- especially in the day. Try beiges, champagnes, light pinks and nudes. Iridescent shadows are fresh and bring out the natural beauty of the eye with a pop. We’re obsessed with Stila’s best selling Kitten shade, it’s a shimmering nude pink that’s flattering to ALL skin tones- and if you’re not a eyeshadow powder fan it also comes in a creamy silk shadow wash formula (which I love to also use on the cheekbones for gorgeous highlight).
To tame the shine on your t-zone skip the cakey powder and opt for bareEscentuals mineral veil instead. The new(ish) bareMinerals Hydrating Mineral Veil is a winner… instead of making skin look matte and dull, it brightens (I swear I have a halo around my face when I wear this stuff) AND hydrates – what’s not to love?!
New York Fashion Week is the pinnacle of modern style and flair. The latest trends often start on the runway and end in the hands of fashionistas everywhere. The runways have not disappointed this season by producing hot new fashions and makeup trends for the spring and fall.
Vibrant green eye shadows lit up the ISSA runway show. Hues of rich jungle greens, gold and smoky black were intoxicating. The allure of the tropics inspired a green makeup frenzy. Acclaimed makeup artist Pat McGrath created the look with a high contrast between an effervescent green all over lid color and a smoldering charcoal on the outside corners of the eyes. He finished off the look with a splash of gold on the inside corners of the eyes and a few coats of mascara.
Chic shades of brown nail lacquer also made their debut on the Chanel runway. Brown is the new neutral that everyone can wear! It’s especially fashionable paired with accents of gold jewelry. Think of hues like cappuccino, desert sand, cocoa, brown sugar and taupe. Short polished manis are they way to go for an updated modern look.
For nails we suggest SpaRitual Nail Lacquer in Hypnotic, Can You Dig It, Muse, or Solid as a Rock and for sultry eyes try bareMinerals Glimpse Eyeshadow Celery, Stila Eye Shadow Duo-Seafoam or DuWop Eye Palettes- Green Eyes.
These hot trends are simply irresistible!
Check out more fabulous cosmetics at SkinStore.
For all those times you wished you would have packed a survival kit, Too Faced has just launched the ultimate singles ladies Too Faced Walk of Shame Kit. The title may be a bit provocative, but so may be the ladies that need it! You’ll be fully prepared for an unexpected invitation or a midnight rendezvous with this kit. The not so glamorous walk of shame has never looked so good!
The kit contains a custom compact with two eyeshadows and a blush that is suitable for all skin tones, top-selling Shadow Insurance primer, Primed and Poreless, Lip of Luxury Lipstick, mints, travel toothbrush, and trendy satin bag.
With wedding season upon us, this could also be a fun and quirky gift idea for brides to give to single bridesmaids. A bride’s way to say farewell to her bachelorette days if you will! Or an amusing present for a friend that’s just gone through a rough breakup and may be in need of some cheering up.
There will be no more shame in your game ladies, chin up and walk proud!
Learn more about this kit at SkinStore.
Spring is in the air and that means flirty, fun new makeup trends! Remember to keep it fresh for seemingly effortless appeal.
Rosy Cheeks – A natural flush gives an instant youthful glow. Plus it’s oh so girly and playful! Simply apply pink hued rouge to the apples of your cheeks and blend outward. We adore Too Faced Brightening Blush- Pinch My Cheeks, bareMinerals Blush- Laughter, and DuWop Blushbooster Apple.
Bold Eyeliner – Straight off the spring runway of Nanette Leopre and Balenciaga is Aqua eyeliner. A throwback to the seventies, this pop of color is not for the faint of heart!
Extreme Lashes – Bigger is better this season! Add false lashes for extra oomph and sex appeal. Follow up with a few coats of Too Faced Lash Injection- Pitch Black for maximum fullness and length. If falsies aren’t your cup of tea, stimulate your natural lashes to grow in thicker than ever before with RapidLash Eyelash Renewal Serum, a customer fave. Need help applying false lashes? Read another one of my articles here for great tips!
Peach Lips – With so much focus on the eyes this season; pare down the lips with a hint of peach. Peachy pink lips are the perfect compliment for a more intense eye. Try a gloss for a sheer, fresh, shiny pout. Shades like Philosophy Supernatural Lip Gloss Soft Peach, Stila Lip Glaze-Apricot or Philosophy Melon Daiquiri Lip Shine are positively delectable.
The key to pulling off any new trend is balance. Either play it up with a bold eyeliner color, or extreme lashes, and keep it simple with a muted lip.
Discover more fantastic and trendy cosmetics at SkinStore!
These are some of the most common mistakes I see that women make when applying makeup. These are all tips and mistakes to avoid which I have learned in school, and in applications I have done over the years. I love sharing the knowledge I have to assist others and make women aware of things to steer clear of. Hopefully you’ll take from my tips and create beauty day to day!
- Unless you are going to a major event or taking professional pictures… never over apply foundation. Too much application is too obvious on the skin for daily wear and can create cracks/ wrinkles in your face.
- Never wear foundation which is too light for your skin. This can make your skin appear gray or ashy. It is always better to stick with a color as true or natural to your skin or a color ½-1 shade darker then your skin.
- Always apply foundation down the neck to the décolleté area and remember to blend.
- Remember to consider your skin type when choosing the right foundation option.
- Normal Skin: liquid foundation or powder foundation is suitable.
- Oily/Combo/Mature Skin: mattifying & oil free liquid foundation is recommended with use of powder over your oily sections if needed. Never use just a powder for mature skin; it will accentuate wrinkles and fine lines. Powder alone also sticks more over oily sections which results in a very uneven application.
- Dry Skin: use liquid foundation or you can use moisture-replenishing technology powder only.
- Steer clear of red toned/ orange based foundations, which will make any skin color appear off.
- Make sure you are using the correct foundation brush for the type of foundation used and coverage needed.
- Not cleansing your brush can result in bacteria buildup and also affect your application of foundation.
- Don’t use glitter! Use shadows which are metallic or shimmer based pigments. Glitter can be harsh on the sensitive eye area, create eye irritation, oversize your eye, and just looks messy.
- When deciding on dramatic eyes or smoky eyes, make sure that you down play application of other facial features.
- Use eye colors for eye shadow, eyeliner, and mascara which accentuate your eye shape, pupil color, and skin tone.
- Never over apply mascara otherwise you will end up with spider lashes. Also, only apply mascara to the top lashes and bat your lashes together to get a perfect lower lash application.
- If you have crepe lids or wrinkled lids, apply a shadow primer or instant wrinkle filler over target areas/ entire lid depending on the product used. Wait about 1-2 minutes before shadow application.
- If you have oily skin and your eye shadow creases or won’t stay on, utilize a primer. If that doesn’t work either, then use a maximum coverage oil free concealer. Wait about 1 min before shadow application and never use crème or liquid based shadows.
- To open up your eyes, utilize false eyelashes. However for smaller eyes use only a half of the strip or use individual lashes towards the outer end of your lash line.
- Never use lipsticks made with glitter. Stick with matte colors or colors with shimmer.
- For dry lips or mature skin around the lip area, make sure your use a lip primer or an instant line/ wrinkle filler to hydrate and plump your skin.
- On that note, don’t forget to use your anti-feathering products to keep your color from escaping your lips.
- The darker your eye makeup, the lighter or more natural your lips should remain.
- To make your lips appear plump or full, use lip gloss.
- To add some color or shimmer to your lips and to help adhere lipstick to the lips longer, apply your powder over your lips before color application.
- Watch your application on the cheeks! Never over apply your cheek color. Start with a small amount first and then add as desired. If using powder, always make sure to tap off excess powder before each application.
- Stick to light through dark shades of coral and mauve. These colors are universal shades to almost every skin tone and will help keep you from looking over done or too bland.
- Apply blush in between the apples and hollows of your cheeks; up to your ears. This will help create cheek structure and appear more natural in appearance. Also, make sure you blend in your blush to your foundation around the edges.
- Use the correct blush brush for the application you prefer. I suggest an angled brush for a great application.
Always running around and never feel as if there are enough hours in the day, the last thing on your mind may be your eye shadow… I’m sure we all have our kits and numerous individual eye colors lined up in our tool box. I also know that we run out of ideas for our eye shadow colors and can get bored with the same classic techniques we know. Even artists need inspiration at times and what not a better way to lead us there, than by the on-the-go eye color look cards bareMinerals has created. These cards offer many unique and fun application ideas which comes packed in a little tin for travel if necessary. These neat cards show you exactly where to apply the colors and provide easy to follow instructions on the back. Don’t forget these products are natural too! Need instant ideas? Look no further!
Click here to learn more about bareMinerals Eye Looks On the Go.
Click here for more helpful Quick Tips!