Posts Tagged ‘healthy skin’
It’s no secret that glowing skin resonates with youth and good health. Here are the cardinal rules that you can follow to ensure pretty, radiant skin.
- Diet: A healthy diet provides for healthy skin. To ensure that your complexion glows eat lots of vegetables, berries, fruits, healthy grains, calcium-rich foods like milk, yogurt and buttermilk. Incorporate healthy proteins like chicken and tofu, and omega-rich foods like fish and nuts. Eating healthily will not only make you feel better and healthier, it’ll also contribute to pretty, fresh, youthful and glowing skin!
- Antioxidants: it’s a buzz word for a good reason. Antioxidants ward off aging (and many health problems) by protecting our cells from free radicals and oxidative stress. While a diet rich in antioxidants will contribute to healthy skin from the inside out, antioxidant-rich topical treatments that we apply to our skin will also help to ward off oxidative stress externally, resulting in a bright and even complexion. Topical antioxidant treatments come in many forms; serums, gels, lotions, creams, even built into cleansers and sunscreen products that we use… so there’s no excuse to not use an antioxidant product!
- Sunscreen: Everyone should wear a sunscreen daily, even when it’s overcast the sun’s harmful rays penetrate through the clouds and can seriously damage our skin. Sun damaged skin is dull, lackluster and drab. It can also develop sun spots and excess freckles, resulting in an unsightly and uneven coloration. Skin cancer is caused by sun damage and can be prevented through regular use of sunscreen. There are many available sunscreen formulations on the market, so everyone will have their favorite (& no excuse to forgo one)!
- Exfoliation: Just as everyone should wear a sunscreen, everyone should also exfoliate. Exfoliation is key to smooth, radiant skin. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells (which make the skin look lifeless and dull) and it helps to even the skin tone, so if you have existing sun damage or hyperpigmentation, exfoliating regularly can help to lessen the appearance of bothersome spots. Manual exfoliants have small granules to remove dead skin cells- look for products that contain jojoba beads, which are rounded particles that effectively scrub the skin. If you prefer a chemical exfoliant an alpha hydroxyl acid will do the trick; look for products that contain glycolic, lactic, citric, malic or mandelic acid. If you prefer a very gentle exfoliant, try enzymes which eat dead skin cells without disturbing the healthy skin barrier.
- Hydration: Hydrated skin is plump and dewy, so everyone must use a moisturizer (even the oiliest skin types need to hydrate with a light, oil-free moisturizer). A moisturizer will lock hydration into the skin so treatment products can work more effectively- and a moisturizer will ward off premature aging too!
Remember that you can fake a little bit of a glow too- use illuminating products that boost the skin’s radiance, here are some of our favorites:
Philosophy Divine Illumination; what makes this anti-aging moisturizer especially unique are light diffusers and natural skin enhancers that help give skin luminosity for a healthy glow.
Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15; Skin instantly looks softer and younger with this handy multi-tasker. It delivers a hint of sheer coverage, subtle shimmer, SPF 15 and added moisture in one effortless application.?
If you are not familiar with Jurlique, you may want to look at the great products they have to offer. If you are already an avid Jurlique user, you should check out their new Fruit Enzyme Exfoliator. This is a great treatment you can add in to your regimen a few times weekly. You can leave this on for only 5 minutes to achieve clear radiant skin.
This exfoliator contains natural fruit extracts and enzymes to resurface and brighten the skin the natural way. Jurlique’s signature ingredient marshmallow root will detoxify, soothe inflammation, and condition the skin. This product also contains willow bark extract which helps to stimulate cell renewal and is a natural antiseptic and anti-flammatory.
This product is suitable for all skin types, but people who want a skin boost are going to love this product. The Fruit Enzyme Exfoliator will also assist in the effectiveness of other products that you may be using. It is going to help to firm, even out skin tone, and reduce fine lines.
As always you will want to wear a daily sunscreen if you are going to be using this product or any others that have skin resurfacing results. Jurlique Sun Lotion SPF 30+ would be an excellent choice. This is a broad spectrum sunscreen with Vitamin E to give the skin additional protection and antioxidant benefits.
Click here to learn more about this new product.
As we all know, many changes occur while going through menopause. Decreased estrogen levels cause the skin to become thinner and more prone to damage. It is crucial to keep the skin hydrated and protected from harmful UV rays. Besides the standard sunscreen and moisturizer routine, women can also make beneficial diet choices for added skin benefits. The next time you prepare a meal, try to incorporate these ingredients:
Essential Fatty Acids: Load up on foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids like salmon and nuts. Omega-3 keeps skin hydrated and supple. A weekly sushi splurge will keep your skin glowing from the inside out!
Phytoestrogens: In recent studies, women who consume high amounts of soy had fewer complaints regarding menopause symptoms. Individuals who eat soy consistently had fewer hot flashes, increased bone density, and a lower risk of heart disease.
Polyphenols: Grape polyphenols, found in red wine and grape skins are beneficial for pre and post menopausal women. Resveratol, found in grape polyphenols has been proven to lower the risk of coronary heart disease. Don’t be modest; indulge in a glass of wine over dinner and cheers to better health!
This is a follow up to my article about essential oils. Here are some products SkinStore carries that you may find helpful that contain aromatic blends of essential oils and extracts to calm the mind, refresh the body and beautify the skin.
Phyto Phytopolleine Botanical Scalp Treatment: This product has a blend of 100% essential oils to stimulate the scalp and promote hair growth while controlling oil production. Essential oils include lemon peel oil, rosemary, sage, cajeput, and cypress.
Alterna Hemp with Organics Leave In Conditioner: It is very nourishing on the scalp and hair because it contains hemp seed, sunflower oil, avocado extract, and cucumber fruit extract.
Rene Furterer Complexe 5 Regenerating Plant Extract: You will want to keep this product in your shower and use once a week, trust me! It has a pleasant citrus smell that makes you feel like you are really treating yourself and your hair to something wonderful. Essential oils include orange, lavender, and thyme.
Kerstin Florian Aromatherapy Harmony Body Oil: This is an old favorite of mine, and it works great for at home spa treatments. Mix a few drops with an unscented lotion, massage into skin and enjoy. Essential oils included in this product are lavender, geranium, mandarin, and grapefruit oil.
Melvita Plant Oils Hemp Oil: This is wonderful body oil and it can also be used on the face. You can use this product alone or with a moisturizer. It is extremely hydrating without any greasy sticky leftovers.
Archipelago Botanicals Grapefruit Body Lotion: This lotion has a nice fragrance without being overpowering. There are plenty of essential oils such as orange, grape seed and jojoba oil to hydrate and protect your skin.
Sundari Essential Oil for Dry Skin: This is a great skin booster for someone with dry dull skin looking to add some hydration. A blend of almond, sesame, orange and rose oil make this an excellent product for repairing and brightening the skin.
Yonka Pamplemousse PG: Works great for those oily combination skin types. It also will help lighten and brighten your skin with Yonka’s custom blend of essential oils.
Decleor Aroma Night Ylang Ylang Purifying Night Balm: This balm is so luxurious. You will go to bed with the light aroma of ylang ylang, wake up and your skin will be hydrated, fresh, and fabulous.
Juice Beauty Oil Free Moisturizer: This is a nice matte finish moisturizer that works best for oily to combination skin types. It instantly hydrates your skin with a blend of fruit extracts such as apple, grape, and aloe juice. Antioxidants of Vitamin A,C, B5, and E have also been included to protect the skin.
Molton Brown Intoxicating Davana Blossom Foaming Bath Oil: Contains a blend of essential oils that are just what your skin needs to stay fresh and hydrated. Also makes a wonderful gift for someone would could use a little luxury.
Pevonia Nymphea Bath Salts with Essential Oils “Anti-Stress”: This is a very soothing combination of lavender and ylang ylang, which will leave you relaxed and distressed. Ahh.
Melvita Essentials Relaxing Bath and Shower Gel: This has a very energizing citrus aroma just perfect for perking up your early morning routine.
SpaRitual Fluent Gentle Conditioning Lacquer Remover: This gentle acetone free formulation is conditioning on your nails, while still removing chipped and unwanted polish.
Jurlique Lavender Silk Finishing Powder: This light textured powder works perfect for anyone that wants to hide a little shine on their face, without covering up your best features.
DuWop Venom Gloss Berry Chill: This adds gloss and shine while hydrating and conditioning your lips because it contains jojoba and avocado oil. It also has a plumping effect, so pucker up!
Poof…wrinkles be gone! Don’t you wish it was that easy to make wrinkles vanish from your pretty face? We all know that with consistency and the use of the right products, over time an even complexion can be attained. What is sometimes overlooked however, is products that can give instant gratification to your long days.
Instant gratification products are products that will fill in, plump, and create an even appearance to the skin. Usually after application, they will start working in about 1-5 minutes and will provide results that last anywhere between 6-8 hours throughout the day. There are two main ingredients that are in instant gratification products as well as various others. First there is Argireline which acts to keep the muscles in your skin relaxed and smooth by blocking transmission from the muscle to the skin. Next you’d want to look for GABA in your products for instant results. GABA stands for gamma amino butyric acid and it is a breakthrough complex that releases the skin’s own muscle relaxers to calm and relax the skin. So if you want a smooth canvas before makeup application or a smooth clear complexion to display, look for instant gratification products. An added bonus is that with most of these types of products you’ll also receive long term benefits with continued use as well. Here is just a short list of some recommended instant gratification products:
Find more great products at SkinStore.
We’ve all heard the age old saying, “You are what you eat,” but can you really eat your way to a better complexion? Nutrition experts agree that what you put in your body not only determines your overall health, but also plays a vital role in how gracefully you age. The next time you head to the supermarket, add these super foods to the top of your list!
Barley: The power of whole grains is undeniable. Soluble fiber, which is found in whole grains like barley regulates blood sugar levels and insulin. The stabilization of blood sugar prevents the breakdown of collagen and elastin in the skin, which in turn keeps you in your prime.
Buckwheat: Rich in collagen boosting monounsaturated fatty acids, Buckwheat is an anti aging all star by way of increasing skin elasticity. Buckwheat can be found in many Asian noodle dishes, rice, porridge and pasta.
Ginger: A great anti-inflammatory agent, ginger aides troublesome conditions like acne and psoriasis. Say adios to your red, inflamed skin and hello to your favorite spice!
Kiwi: Often overlooked, the kiwi fruit contains the highest density of vitamin C of any fruit. Potent with antioxidant powers, the kiwi is a free radical scavenger! This translates simply into this: the more kiwis we eat, the fewer wrinkles we will have.
Oysters: Next time you’re in the mood for some sushi, go for oysters instead! Oysters are packed with the mineral zinc, which aides in skin renewal and repair.
Papaya: Is your skin looking dull and lackluster? Not to worry, simply throw a papaya in the shopping basket! This delectable delight is loaded with glow worthy ingredients like vitamin C, carotene, and flavonoids.
Wheat Germ: Stimulating wheat germ promotes cellular turnover. Just sprinkle a tablespoon of wheat germ to your yogurt, oatmeal, or cereal and you’re on your way to a more radiant, glowing complexion.
Now, take a bite and remember… you are what you eat!
We always hear about the benefits of green tea in skin care as a powerful antioxidant, but what about red tea? Some of us may drink red tea, but what are the benefits when used in our skin care products?
Research suggests that red tea has two times the antioxidant benefits of green tea. It can protect the skin against environmental damage and free radicals. Red tea is said to contain more antioxidant properties then Vitamin C, and E. Researchers have also found that red tea contains 9 types of flavonoids, 5 of which are free-radical scavengers. Red tea can reduce bacteria and inflammation, making it a great treatment for acneic skin.
SkinStore.com carries a few product lines in particular that are known for using red tea as a key component in their products. Ole Henriksen has quite a few products that are formulated with African red tea. African red tea will strengthen the skin’s outer layer, soothe the skin, and can slow down the aging process. Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser was named the best natural cleanser at the Natural Health Beauty Awards in 2009.
Glytone also has a few new anti-aging products that are formulated with red tea flavonoids. Their research has shown that red tea has 30% more free radical reduction than green tea. This new anti aging line by Glytone contains an exfoliating cream, facial serum and eye cream.
As more research is being done regarding Red Tea, companies like Glytone and Ole Henriksen are showing us how effective this anti-aging ingredient really is.
Find more products with Red Tea at SkinStore.
Ah, the coveted glowing skin. It’s easier to get than you think. I’ll show you how, just follow the steps below.
- Cleanse – Use a gentle cleanser that won’t dry out your skin. Cosmedicine Healthy Cleanse Foaming Cleanser and Toner in One is perfect. (They have one for normal to dry and normal to oily skin)
- Gently exfoliate – A mask like Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Revealing Mask, is great because it exfoliates while infusing the skin with luminous hydration.
- Treat – Dark spots are a major set back when glowing, radiant skin is your goal. Treat them safely and effectively with SkinCeuticals Pigment Regulator am and pm.
- Hydrate/protect – Glowing skin is synonymous with hydrated, healthy skin. Try an all in one tinted moisturizer to hydrate, protect and even skin tone a bit. Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 is a great all in one to try for dry skin. Normal to oily skins will fair better with MD Skincare All in One Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15. If you prefer more coverage, apply alight dusting of Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation.
- Glow – Try adding a touch of bronzer to the areas of your face that light naturally hits. Too Faced Caribbean in a Compact – Sun Bunny lets you create versatile looks from a subtle glow or go for a bronzed beauty look, or anything in between.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with your makeup. Try different looks for different occasion or even moods!
From the ingenious minds of leading cosmetic and skincare specialists, Cover FX was born. Conceived with the intention of becoming the foundation authority, Lee Graff, the co-creator and President of Cover FX developed a makeup that effectively camouflages major skin imperfections with added therapeutic benefits.
Graff has been a corrective makeup specialist for over 20 years at a leading Canadian CosMedic Clinic, working exclusively with rosacea, acne, scars, and vitiligo patients. Cover FX was created to match a variety of skin tones, be tolerated by even the most sensitive skin, affordable to the everyday consumer, and have a beautiful naturally looking finish.
As the foundation authority, Cover FX is dedicated to achieving a flawless makeup application from beginning to end. If you’re new to the line, we suggest trying The Big Cover Up kit, their 3 step essentials to seamless foundation. The 7 piece kit includes Skin Prep FX Nourishing Foundation Primer and Anti-Aging Serum, Cover FX Total Coverage Cream Foundation (3 shades), Setting FX Translucent Setting Powder, Foundation Brush, and an instructional DVD.
Makeup experts agree that every foundation application should start with a great primer. Skin Prep FX Nourishing Foundation Primer and Anti-Aging Serum is a smoothing, hydrating foundation primer that reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and large pores. It is enriched with peptides, vitamins, and hyaluronic acid to help combat the signs of aging.
One of the biggest dilemmas we face with foundation is finding the perfect color. Whose skin really matches a pre-made color straight from the bottle? It’s either too light or too dark or the wrong tone. Or when you’ve finally found the perfect shade, it’s soon to be discontinued entirely. Cover FX addresses this issue, The Big Cover Up kit includes 3 coordinating shades to blend together for the perfect match.
Cover FX Total Coverage Cream Foundation is a 2-in-1 concealer and foundation. It provides full coverage for hard to conceal imperfections like sun damage, acne, and redness. The foundation is suitable for all skin types and imparts a natural dewy finish. It’s also non-comedogenic and has a zero skin irritancy score for skin sensitivity.
The finishing touch of the 3 step essentials is Cover FX Loose Mineral Setting Powder. To set your makeup, simply dust on a touch of translucent setting powder. This imparts a flawless finish with light defusing pigments. Your skin will appear smoother and more radiant. It also helps to prevent color and foundation transfer. A setting powder extends the wear of your makeup and locks makeup in place all day.
If you’ve struggled to find the perfect foundation for years to no avail, your search is over! Cover FX will give you the confidence of a beautiful even complexion.
Giveaway valid 6/1/2010 – 6/15/2010. See details here.
As of 6/16/10 Giveaway has ended. Winners have been notified and announced. Thank you to all who participated.
Essential oils have been around for centuries and have been used to treat everything from relieving stress, sore muscles, sinus problems, and even enhancing your mood…. The benefits of aromatherapy can have an effect on your mind, body, and spirit just by the direct connection they have to your brain.
Since essential oils can be absorbed into the blood steam, due to their small molecular structure, they can provide many health benefits to your whole body. Essential oils can be extracted by means of distillation, steam, cold expression, alcohol extraction or fixed oil. There is also a technique called oil pulling an ancient method, which uses essential oils to clean the teeth and gums. You would choose oil such as sunflower or sesame and move it around in your mouth in a light swishing motion then spit it out. You can repeat this a few times per day depending on which health issue you are trying to treat. It is also claimed that the swishing activates enzymes in the body, which can draw toxins out of the blood and treat many health conditions.
It is important to realize that essential oils are extremely potent and they should not be applied directly on the skin. They should be blended together with carrier oil, this process is called synergy. For example you can use almond, apricot, or grapeseed oil. You will still get the same benefits but will not burn or irritate your skin.
If you are using any citrus based oils or blossoms such as neroli, you should definitely make sure you are wearing a sun screen to protect your skin.
Here are a few essential oils that are beneficial for specific skin types and concerns:
- Essential oils: chamomile, neroli, rosewood, sandalwood, jasmine, angelica, yarrow hydrosols, ylang-ylang,
- Carrier oils: macadamia or sweet almond oil.
- Essential oils: lavender, tea tree, geranium, frankincense, peppermint, melisa, grapefruit, rose, eucalyptus, cypress oil.
- Carrier oils: grapeseed, soya bean, wheatgerm and apricot kernel are suitable for all skin types.
- Essential oils: bergamot, geranium, tea tree, sandalwood, cedarwood.
- Carrier oils: Jojoba.
Aging or premature aging skin:
- Essential oils: frankincense, rosewood, carrot seed, orange, palma rose.
- Carrier oils: wheat germ, apricot, grapeseed, extra virgin, or macadamia nut oil.
Here are some other uses for essential oils:
Lemongrass: used to treat fevers and infections.
Geraniun oil: used for hormonal imbalances.
Lime: anti-viral, anti-septic and disinfectant.
Yarrow oil: used to relieve joint pain.
Cedar wood: used to alleviate acne, eczema, and dermatitis.
Rose Geranium, lavender, lemon balm, peppermint, orange oil: Used to repel insects.
When using any essential oils you want to first do a patch test on a small area of your skin. It is also not recommended if you are pregnant to use aromatherapy oils as some essential oils such as juniper, rosemary, and sage can cause uterine contractions. It is recommended that you contact an aromatherapy practitioner if you have any questions or need help blending oils to customize your results.