It seems that everywhere you look today men’s grooming is all the buzz around town. Now that the male culture is more comfortable with being in tune with grooming techniques and products, we want to know more about what to do, and which products work best!
Some of us have normal to dry skin, some oily, some combination. Some guys have difficulty with shaving, irritation and ingrown hair. Others may have ongoing acne issues and, some of us approaching our 40’s and 50’s may be concerned with preventing signs of aging.
Men have just as many skin concerns as women but women get so much more product and education from the skincare industry. Not to worry! Here are some skincare 101 basics:
- Be sure you wash your hands with an antibacterial soap before you begin your skincare routine. You don’t want to introduce new bacteria to skin you’re cleaning!
- If you want to use a facial brush make sure you rinse it after use, dry it and store it in a dry container with air vents. If you want to use a wash cloth be sure to use a fresh cloth each time.
- Rinse your wash cloth with warm to hot water (not so hot it burns!). Squeeze out the excess and place the cloth over your face for about 30 seconds to one minute. This helps to open your pores. You can also do this before shaving; it helps to open your pores, help the hairs stand up, and soften hair.
- Apply your cleanser to your neck and face, avoiding eye contact.
- Rinse the cleanser off with warm water and pat face dry with a clean dry towel.
- Apply your toner. Apply any serums after toner has dried.
- Apply your moisturizer. Moisturizer is one of the most important items, especially for acneic skin. (Most guys think if they have acne they don’t need a moisturizer…who needs moisture when you have oily skin right? Wrong! Not using a moisturizer on acneic skin can actually cause more oil! Not good!) Choosing a moisturizer can be confusing. If you need help choosing the right moisturizer please contact our helpful estheticians.
- Apply an SPF 15 or higher for daily use to avoid aging and sun spotting. Apply 30 or higher for direct sun exposure for long periods of time, at least 30 minutes before sun exposure.
Remember these steps and take care of your skin now, and you’ll have less repairing to worry about later! If you have further questions about your skin concerns or products that SkinStore carries, don’t hesitate to contact us.