Who are we kidding though?! Nobody needs that much stuff on the go! And since it’s a new year, let’s overhaul our make-up bags and (literally) lighten the burden that’s hanging on our shoulders.
Here are your make-up bag staples that you should carry with you:
1. Powder compact – an essential for touching up mid-day OR using a heavier application in case you had to rush out the door and had no time for foundation.
2. Convertible lip-cheek-eye color. One product that can do your entire face and is completely fool-proof when it comes to color matching. Stila Convertible Color – Rose is a great choice.
3. Lip balm and a lip gloss. Keep a lip balm with you at all times-preferably one that has SPF in it. It’ll keep your lips hydrated and protected from the sun’s harmful rays. Lip gloss always makes you feel glam, even when you’ve got no other make-up on… so pick a neutral, flattering shade that’ll go with everything. bareMinerals 100 Percent Natural Lipgloss – 7 Layer Cake is my favorite.
4. If you wear eyeliner- then you may want to keep one with you in case of touch-ups. Most liners don’t smudge but if you had a laugh-til-you-cry lunch break you may need to re-apply so you don’t look like a raccoon for the rest of the day! Ditto on the mascara.
5. Blotting papers. ‘Nuff said. Most of us (even those with dry skin types) have a bit of any oil breakthrough by mid-day. Sop it up with and Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets, and your make-up will look super fresh again!
6. Hand sanitizer & hand cream- to keep your hands germ-free and super soft! Hand cream can also double as a hair product if your strands frizz up or get unruly.
7. And essential essentials, of course! Hairpins (just a few- in case you want to re-style your do or clip away pesky wisps of hair), hair ties (if you have long hair then these are a godsend), Cotton swabs (for cleaning up eye make-up if it gets smudgy), floss (in case you have food stuck in your teeth after lunch), gum/mints (for good breath, duh), and a nail file (in case you snag a nail).
Of course, everyone’s make-up essentials may vary but many girls agree that the above products are true life-savers on the go. In addition to the above items I also like to keep a travel toothpaste & toothbrush for post-lunch brushing, a hair brush to keep my hair smooth and tangle-free, a pack of tissues, and eye drops (a must since I wear contacts).
What is your make-up bag? Tell us… do you travel light, or bring the train case with you?