Think you know what’s causing your excess oil? It could be caused by seasonal transitions, hormones, or even medications. But before you make any lifestyle change, learn about the 5 common products in your daily skin care routine that may be the culprit, and find out how to control oily skin.
1. Your scrub. Over-doing it when it comes to exfoliating can rob your skin of its natural moisture, causing it to produce even more oil to compensate. There can be “too much of a good thing” with exfoliation, so I recommend using physical exfoliants up to 3 times a week, and keep your pressure light when massaging physical scrubs into your skin.
2. Your inadequate sunscreen. Although it might temporarily dry out your skin, a tan damages the DNA inside your skin cells and triggers an injury response that causes oil production to surge so your skin stays protected. Make sure you choose an SPF that’s labeled “broad spectrum” to keep UVA and UVB rays from doing damage, so oil production stays under control. And make it a daily habit, rain or shine – up to 80% of UV radiation can penetrate through clouds!
3. Your “squeaky” clean cleanser. You might think it’s helping your oil control cause, but using a cleanser that makes your skin feel dry and tight is doing anything but! The result is skin that’s stripped of its protective hydrolipidic barrier, causing it to rapidly produce more oil to compensate for what’s missing. Make sure you’re using a cleanser formulated for your exact skin type, to provide the moisture-to-oil balance it needs.
4. Your “one-size-fits-all” anti-ager. Anti-aging ingredients like retinol or peptides are meant to target skin aging concerns like wrinkles or firmness. If you have an Oily skin type, these formulas may be just too emollient. So choose an anti-aging night creme that’s designed specifically for oilier skin, and offers oil control along with anti-aging benefits, like Bioelements Oil Control Sleepwear.
5. Your oil blotters. A common pseudo-solution to remove excess oil is to blot it away – and not just with the blotting papers you find skin care aisles. I’ve heard people recommend everything from coffee shop napkins to toilet seat covers to beat an oily t-zone! No matter what you’re using to blot, it only pushes most of the day’s dirt, oil and makeup back in deep into your pores, where it causes breakouts, congestion, and even more oil. Stop oil at its source with an Oil Control Mattifier that balances oil production within the pore, and absorbs excess oil as it develops. Apply it under your makeup, before your SPF, to keep skin shine-free, and apply it over your makeup as needed for a pore-friendly solution to control oil throughout the day.
Summer is in full effect which means more time spent outdoors and long weekend getaways. For many, camping is at the top of the list as a favorite summer pastime. There’s nothing better than pitching a tent under the stars and enjoying all that the wilderness has to offer. Other than your given necessaries to pack like a sleeping bag and tasty smores, here are a few of our beauty must haves when you are without the luxuries of your home.
LaVanilla The Healthy Deodorant Pure Vanilla- Make sure you are smelling your best even when you are not feeling so fresh with this all natural deodorant. It has a exotic blend of Madagascar Vanilla, Tonka Bean and Rich Heliotrope.
Avene Thermal Spring Water- Not only should you drink plenty of water, but make sure your skin is hydrated and refreshed. It is a unique composition that soothes, softens and restores the skins natural balance.
With these essentials in tote we’re sure you’ll be a happy camper! You can find the products mentioned on SkinStore.com.
Beat the heat this summer with Skin Authority Moisturizing Mist! This cooling, vitamin-rich spray delivers enriched antioxidants and moisture for soothing relief of dryness, minor irritations, inflammation, itching, and rashes while hydrating and normalizing the skin’s pH.
-Delivers antioxidants, vitamins and hydrators.
-Hydrates and softens dry, cracked or flaky skin.
-Promotes firmer, tighter skin.
-Fights off free radical damage.
Enter our Facebook giveaway for a chance to win one of your very own! Click HERE to enter. You can find this product on SkinStore.com.
With all of the BB Creams that have hit the market lately it was only a matter of time until a BB Cream Eyeshadow was created, bareMinerals 5-in-1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Eyeshadow SPF 15. It’s a hybrid creamy shadow; long-wearing color meets exceptional skincare benefits and broad spectrum SPF protection. Chock-full of skin-loving ingredients, this breakthrough product delivers 5 benefits in one luxe formula.
Are you on the prowl to reverse the signs of aging in your eye region? Well look no further Topix Replenix All Trans Retinol Eye Repair Cream is the eye cream to address your needs. This eye product contains retinol; retinol is a magic anti-aging ingredient that helps to fight fine lines and wrinkles. Retinol is derived from the Vitamin A family; the A stands for awesome of course! Vitamin A helps not only fight aging skin, but also makes your skin as smooth as a baby’s bottom. So as you can see Topix Replenix All Trans Retinol Eye Repair Cream is a product that will take your eyes from drab to fab! It also contains a great peptide blend, encourages draining under the eyes, discourages puffiness and also addresses fine lines and wrinkles. Green Tea Polyphenols provide anti-inflammatory benefits and antioxidant protection to the delicate area around the eyes.
While using an eye cream containing retinol is great for treating wrinkles, it can make your delicate skin more susceptible to sun damage. Protection is key! We highly suggest using SkinCeuticals Physical Eye UV Defense SPF 50 in addition. It delivers a new standard in eye care, this daily, high protection, non-migrating, 100% mineral base defends, enhances and optimizes the entire eye area. Formulated specifically for the unique structure of the thinner and more sensitive skin around the eye, Physical Eye UV Defense provides broad spectrum SPF 50 protection without migrating into the eyes and causing irritation.
Looking to protect and correct with one of the best antioxidants on the market? Prevage Anti-Aging Daily Serum by Elizabeth Arden has advanced Idebenone technology to create a reserve within the skin releasing protective and corrective benefits when and where skin needs it most. With continued use, skin’s resilience is fortified allowing skin to fight the effects of environmental aggressors and dramatically improve the look of sun-damaged skin.
Sound amazing?! Enter our Facebook giveaway for a chance to win one of your very own. Click HERE to enter. You can find Prevage on SkinStore.com.
– 69% improvement in the look of photo-damaged skin.
– 69% improvement in skin’s overall appearance.
**For face products, environmental protection is against oxidative stress due to sun, smoke and pollution, with Idebenone compared to alpha lipoic acid, kinetin, vitamin C, vitamin E and coenzyme Q10. EPF® and Environmental Protection Factor™ are certification marks and trademarks owned by Pharma Cosmetix Research, L.L.C.
**Consumer test conducted on 102 women age 25-65 over 4 weeks.
Ever heard of blonde hair turning green from swimming in a pool? Unfortunately, this is not an urban legend. Being a blonde myself I am super cautious about getting my hair wet in the pool and I am way too insecure to go around rocking a swim cap. So, over the years I have picked up a few tricks to help prevent those dreaded green pool tresses.
One tip that I hear a lot is to wet your hair before you go in the pool. The idea is that your hair will absorb the tap water and not the pool water. I always pictured having to either take a shower to wet my hair or drench my hair with a garden hose in order to do this. Since it was such a hassle I only did this a handful of times. I was recently complaining to a friend of mine about the hardships of being blonde, like the expense, stupid jokes and green pool hair when she suggested that I carry a water spray bottle in my pool bag so I could conveniently spray my hair before jumping in the pool. This was the most brilliant idea I have ever heard (maybe some of these blonde jokes have a point). So now I carry a small spray bottle with tap water and I like to add a few drops of conditioner to give my hair some extra protection. I also try to shampoo my hair as soon as I am done with the pool. So far I have avoided the green scene and the swim cap!
Looking for more sun protection hair products for summer? Here are a few of our favorites!
Phyto Phytoplage Protective Sun Veil: The UV filter in Protective Sun Veil ensures this product’s “high” protection levels, ideal for natural, unchanged hair. The photo-protective agent obtained from the Sunflower blossom effectively completes hair fiber protection.
Rene Furterer Repairing After Sun Mask: Enriched with palm butter and phospholipids of natural origin, this Repairing After Sun Mask restructures sun damaged hair and instantly detangles it. This mask also protects and nourishes hair for supple and soft results.
Alterna BAMBOO UV Color Protection Vibrant Color Conditioner: Vibrant Color Conditioner combines strengthening pure Organic Bamboo Extract with color-locking, damage-locking Kalahari Melon Extract. This paraben and sodium chloride free conditioner infuses hair with nourishing moisture and vital nutrients to keep it strong and healthy with beautifully vibrant color. With rinse resistant Color Hold UV+ Technology this conditioner provides the highest level of color protection.
If you are feeling the burn and need some relief make sure to reach for one of these great aloe based products. Aloe is known as the “First Aid plant” for its healing powers for such ailments as wounds, burns, swelling, redness and irritation. Here are a few of our favorite aloe packed products:
Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Masque; this lightweight cooling gel combines soothing whole Aloe Leaf, Cucumber Extract and Matricaria oil to hydrate and calm all skin types. It can even be used under the eye area as well as in the treatment from. This masque is perfect for post electrolysis as well.
Hampton Sun Hydrating Aloe Continuous Mist offers a 360 degree spray offers relief to even the hardest to reach places. Hampton Sun blends hydrating vitamin E with Aloe Leaf Juice to penetrate the skin without leaving a greasy, oily residue.
ASAP Gentle Cleansing Gel is a great soap-free cleanser with White Tea Extract and Aloe Leaf extract to remove oil and make up without stripping the skin’s natural oils. Be aware this cleanser won’t offer a lather but is formulated for all skin types especially sensitive or sensitized skin.
Spring is finally here! If you haven’t already, it’s time to start transitioning your skincare routine. If you find that it’s a challenge to select just the right regimen for your skin, you’re not alone. Skin can be very unpredictable — some days you’re more blemish-prone and oily, some days your skin is dry, and to top it all off, your skin has targeted zones that have their own issues (enlarged pores on the t-zone, rough cheeks, dull overall complexion).
• Radiance: helps transform dull skin into a younger-looking, glowing, luminous complexion (featuring Linoleic, Pyruvic, Tartaric, and Glycolic Acids, Retinol, and Quercetin)
• Hydration: helps infuse and seal deep moisture for firmer, softer, smoother-looking skin (with Hyaluronic Chronospheres, Watermelon Extract, and Centella Asiatica)
• Purifying: helps tone and control excess oil; tightens pores for increased clarity (including Willow Bark Extract, Witch Hazel, Lactic Acid)
While you can use them like traditional serums and apply them directly to specific facial zones, the real magic happens when you start mixing your own custom cocktail. After all, if your skin has different needs, why would you treat it the same way every day? Each booster can be mixed into your favorite skincare and makeup products to take their benefits to the next level. That means any existing product you have — moisturizer, foundation, cleanser, anything! — can be totally transformed for your skin’s daily needs. What will you mix with your Clinical Concentrate Boosters?
On the hunt for a new cleanser? Purity Clean just may be what you’re looking for! Purity Clean is a concentrated, exfoliating cleanser that deep cleans as it resurfaces for softer, healthier looking skin. Peppermint Essential Oil, Tea Tree Oil and exfoliants provide exhilarating, detoxifying experience while Lavender and Aloe Vera sooth and support healthier looking skin. Key benefits include: antibacterial, mildly exfoliating, unclogs follicles, antiseptic, supports skin barrier, and collagen stimulating. Sound perfect? Enter for your chance to win one of your very own! Click HERE to enter our Facebook giveaway!