The best concealers diffuse discoloration, lighten shadowed areas, disguise blemishes, and work in conjunction with foundations to achieve a more even skin tone and hide flaws. However, a poor choice in concealers can make things look worse! They draw attention to problem areas, accentuate fine lines and wrinkles, look cakey, settle into creases, and even disappear as the day comes to an end.
Top 15 Tips and Tricks:
1. Concealers should not, generally, be applied over powder foundation. Doing so tends to cause streaking and the powder may roll or peel. When using powder foundation, apply concealer first.
2. Choose a concealer that is one or two shades lighter than your skin tone to neutralize dark areas without attracting attention by making it look too light.
3. Use liquid concealer; if you have normal, combination, oily, sensitive or blemish-prone skin.
4. Use stick concealer; if you have normal, dry or sensitive skin
5. Use cream concealer; if you have normal, dry, combination or sensitive skin
6. Use cream to powder; if you have normal, slightly dry, combination or sensitive skin
7. Apply concealer under the eye: draw a triangle with the base under your eye and the point toward your cheek instead of straight across the bottom of the eye. This technique covers more, blends better, and last longer.
8. When choosing a color-correcting concealer remember:
Lavender: counteracts sallow or yellowness in the skin
Yellow: counteracts deep purple tones such as dark circles or scarring; pale yellow works well to highlight brows and cheekbones but it must be pale yellow, not gold
Green: neutralizes redness, including diffusing redness from rosacea. Great for covering up acne!
Pink: Neutralizes a blue cast on lighter skin tones
Orange/Salmon: neutralizes blue to deep purple or grayish tones on deeper skin tones
9. To prevent your eye shadow from falling off your lid and settling in the creases, prime your eyelids first with a dab of concealer.
10. Hide puffy eyes with a bit of eye cream, highlighter, and concealer. Mix them together and apply.
11. After applying concealer, blot the area with a thin tissue to prevent the product from settling into creases around your eyes.
12. Make your lipstick pop and prevent the color from bleeding by lining the outside of your lips with a fine-tip brush and a bit of concealer.
13. Make your brows pop by lining them above and below with a concealer that’s one shade lighter than your skin tone.
14. Create a tinted moisturizer by mixing your daily face lotion with a bit of your go-to concealer.
15. For a smooth application with stick concealer, apply some on the back of your hand and gently rub in a circular motion to warm up the product. This will give you a nice smooth application.
Although cleansing your face thoroughly with either your hands or a cleansing device is ideal, makeup removing wipes are a convenient way to remove the day’s makeup and grime so that you can properly cleanse your face. Makeup removing wipes shouldn’t be used solely to cleanse the face because they lack any type of cleanser, but are great for removing mascara, eye liner or other long wearing cosmetics. Makeup removing wipes, like the Boots No7 Quick Thinking Wipes – Value Pack are even great for throwing in your gym bag or purse if you want a fresh pick me up midday. You can also cut your make up wipes into smaller more manageable squares and can be used to remove make up goofs like lipstick, eyeliner or mascara from the upper eye lid.
Suffering from dry, dehydrated winter skin? Here’s a tip! Adding concentrated serums to your moisturizers can double the humectant factor. Here are a few additives that can give your favorites a little boost this winter season.
SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel can be added to any day or night cream to replenish nutrients in the skin. Added moisture helps diminish fine lines and wrinkles as well as smoother looking skin. B5 Gel is also recommended for use with vitamin C to maximize the benefits.
Peter Thomas Roth Oil Less Oil 100% Purified Squalane can be added to sunscreen, moisturizers or used before your make up application to deeply condition the skin. Squalane is found in the body naturally and this purified version duplicates the lipid barrier found in our skin.
Philosophy Turbo Booster C Powder is a revolutionary powder that can be added to your favorite cream or sunscreen to help fight free radicals, which are still an issue even in the winter! Vitamin C helps lighten and brighten skin as well as reverse the aging process.
Want to look radiant and bright for upcoming holiday parties? Here are a few of our favorite ways to boost your radiance!
Add a few drops of this serum under your moisturizer and foundation and it will make you look like you are always standing in the perfect lighting. We love Orico London Transcend Marine Radiance Serum. It also deeply hydrates the skin and we all need that. Tighter skin and diminished wrinkles are also huge benefits. Orico London is brand new to SkinStore. Certified Organic ingredients and essential oils make this a winner for our naturalists.
An extra 10 minutes is all it takes to brighten dull skin, recover and nourish distressed skin, reduce redness and soften skin. Alchimie Forever Kantic Brightening Moisture Mask is a staple for any pre-event regimen. This staff favorite will not disappoint. You will get a more hydrated, glowing complexion in just 10 minutes. Now that’s what we call quality time!
So we all know that exfoliation helps get that top layer of dull, dead skin off revealing the younger, plumper skin cells right?! Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel /2 Steps is the fastest, easiest way to get holiday ready. If you haven’t “peeled” before, don’t let the word scare you. There won’t be any redness, flaking or down-time with these pre-soaked pads. Just swipe Step 1, the peel, over your face, leave on two minutes and swipe Step 2, the neutralizer, right over the top and viola! You are now ready for a mask and/or serum. These handy wipes are even safe for sensitive skin and those with rosacea. If you have more tolerant skin, they come in an Extra Strength formula as well. If you are using them for this first time, we recommend trying them a week ahead of a big event, just to make sure you have no reaction. You don’t want to be Rudolph at the holiday party!
In review, if you wanted to do all three of these steps, the correct order would be (after cleansing): 1) Peel or exfoliate, 2) Mask, 3) Serum followed with your favorite make-up. Heck, it’s the holidays use a little shimmer and make things bright!
This season is all about big, loose, voluminous waves that look natural and effortless, but still polished. T3 has created two new tools which I absolutely love, because they make creating this trending look fast and easy. The key to this style is waves that start lower down the hair section (at lip to chin level), which adds incredible body and movement to the bottom half of the hair. Here’s how to get the look:
Start by prepping hair with your favorite body building product (Mousse, Thickening Spray, Texturizing Spray), then rough dry hair until it is 100% dry.
Divide hair into four sections. Start with your part, divide hair all the way to the back and split into pig tails. Split those pig tails into two sections divided from the top right behind the ear.
Using the T3 Micro BodyWaver wrap 1″ sections of hair flat along on the barrel, then gently unwind into a long coil. Pro Tip: Curl all hair with sections being fed over the barrel and towards the face, as pictured. This ensures perfect symmetrical waves on both sides.
After allowing coils to cool, gently rake through hair from roots to tips with a large comb or your fingers. Detail the crown and hairline with the T3 Whirl Trio Interchangeable Wand using the 1” barrel attachment. Gently wrap 1/2″ sections away from the face to create more texture and polish.
Finally, spritz on your favorite texturizing spray.
T3 Lead Stylist, David Lopez, is a rising session and celebrity hair stylist based in NYC. David has lived all over the world and learned at an early age to appreciate the beauty of different cultures and hair types. He started out studying film but quickly transitioned to his true passion, beauty school. David was trained in the French technique of hair cutting and educated by Aveda, Goldwell, Redken & Wella, before going to work for New York’s top salons, Mercedes Benz Fashion Week and today’s most prominent magazines. David’s expertise is sought after by media outlets the world over from national television to web series, and is known for being creative and always enthusiastic, with an infectious passion for his craft. He is represented by NEXT Artists in NYC & FORD Artists in Miami.
SkinStore offers some nifty online tools to help direct you to the most ideal products to obtain your skincare goals. Beauty Advisor is a questionnaire created by our licensed estheticians that personalizes a skincare regimen for your unique skin type. Your results may be printed or saved for reference or you may contact an esthetician to discuss in detail which products fit into your lifestyle. SkinStore is committed to providing our customers with easy, personalized service for a more beautiful you!
Did you know that SkinStore has licensed estheticians available to answer your skincare and beauty questions by phone, email or live chat? Our estheticians have a passion for skincare and are happy to assist you to create a personalized regimen just for you. Our experts have completed over 600 hours of education with hands-on skincare training. All of our estheticians are California State Board certified and are educated in various skincare conditions, diseases and the latest skincare treatments.
Can’t wait for your own personalized regimen? Click HERE to get started with the My Beauty Advisor questionnaire.
Helpful tips to clear skin: Remember to never pick at pimples and avoid touching your face throughout the day. If you notice you’re always breaking out on your cheeks your pillowcase or makeup brushes may be the culprit. Make sure you wash your pillowcase and makeup brushes regularly.
You can find all of the acne fighting products mentioned above on SkinStore.com!
You crawl into bed after an exhausting day. Your sleepy head hits the pillow and you are snuggled up for a much deserved restful night’s sleep when you realize you forgot to wash your face. You may think “what harm can one night of sleeping in my makeup really do?” A lot actually! Knowing what I know now about sleeping in eye makeup I can promise you I will NEVER do it again. There are the obvious drawbacks from sleeping in makeup like dirty pillow cases and waking up with makeup all over your face, but there are some more serious repercussions.
Mascara dries out eye lashes and if you are not taking the time to remove it at night your lashes are just getting brittle. They’re actually thinning, breaking and falling out. Mascara and liner cause bacteria to build up in the eye which can cause irritation, bloodshot eyes and styes. A stye is a painful bump formed in the gland of the eye. They are noticeable and to be honest quite ugly. These reasons alone are enough to make me drag my lazy butt out of bed to wash my face. But wait…there is more! EYE MITES! Eye mites are tiny microscopic bugs that live in the hair follicles of your lashes and brows. Everyone has them unfortunately, but if you don’t wash your face than you are giving them a chance to multiply. Now they have all that yummy eye makeup to munch on so they can get bigger, stronger and lay more eggs. Within a few days those eye mites have hatched, grown and are laying their own eggs. Stop the madness and wash your face!
Think you know what’s causing your excess oil? It could be caused by seasonal transitions, hormones, or even medications. But before you make any lifestyle change, learn about the 5 common products in your daily skin care routine that may be the culprit, and find out how to control oily skin.
1. Your scrub. Over-doing it when it comes to exfoliating can rob your skin of its natural moisture, causing it to produce even more oil to compensate. There can be “too much of a good thing” with exfoliation, so I recommend using physical exfoliants up to 3 times a week, and keep your pressure light when massaging physical scrubs into your skin.
2. Your inadequate sunscreen. Although it might temporarily dry out your skin, a tan damages the DNA inside your skin cells and triggers an injury response that causes oil production to surge so your skin stays protected. Make sure you choose an SPF that’s labeled “broad spectrum” to keep UVA and UVB rays from doing damage, so oil production stays under control. And make it a daily habit, rain or shine – up to 80% of UV radiation can penetrate through clouds!
3. Your “squeaky” clean cleanser. You might think it’s helping your oil control cause, but using a cleanser that makes your skin feel dry and tight is doing anything but! The result is skin that’s stripped of its protective hydrolipidic barrier, causing it to rapidly produce more oil to compensate for what’s missing. Make sure you’re using a cleanser formulated for your exact skin type, to provide the moisture-to-oil balance it needs.
4. Your “one-size-fits-all” anti-ager. Anti-aging ingredients like retinol or peptides are meant to target skin aging concerns like wrinkles or firmness. If you have an Oily skin type, these formulas may be just too emollient. So choose an anti-aging night creme that’s designed specifically for oilier skin, and offers oil control along with anti-aging benefits, like Bioelements Oil Control Sleepwear.
5. Your oil blotters. A common pseudo-solution to remove excess oil is to blot it away – and not just with the blotting papers you find skin care aisles. I’ve heard people recommend everything from coffee shop napkins to toilet seat covers to beat an oily t-zone! No matter what you’re using to blot, it only pushes most of the day’s dirt, oil and makeup back in deep into your pores, where it causes breakouts, congestion, and even more oil. Stop oil at its source with an Oil Control Mattifier that balances oil production within the pore, and absorbs excess oil as it develops. Apply it under your makeup, before your SPF, to keep skin shine-free, and apply it over your makeup as needed for a pore-friendly solution to control oil throughout the day.
Brows are back in fashion. Whether you prefer a thick bold brow or a more natural look we have the perfect tools to frame that pretty face of yours. One of the top brands that’s been making waves in the cosmetic industry is Anastasia. Anastasia has reached mainstream notoriety by creating the largest assortment of award winning eyebrow products and best-selling brow pencils on the market today. Our must have products from the Anastasia line are listed below.
NEW! Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade: A waterproof brow color ideal for sculpting, defining, and carving perfectly precise brows that won’t fade. Smudge-free, creamy formula glides on skin and adheres to hair. Must-have for oily skin and humid climates. It comes in 8 different colors Ebony, Dark Brown, Medium Brown, Soft Brown, Chocolate, Taupe, Blonde and Auburn.
Anastasia Brow Wiz: An ultra-slim mechanical pencil to shape, define and fill in your brows for a natural, polished look. Includes a spooley brush to easily blend for a natural look.
Anastasia Clear Brow Gel: Tame unruly brows without leaving them stiff, flaky or sticky. This clear gel formula, enriched with botanical conditioners and essential oils, can be worn alone or layered over Anastasia’s Brow Powder Duo or Brow Pencils to set your brows for a polished look that lasts all day.
Click below for a step by step tutorial on 5 Minute Bold Brows by Anastasia Beverly Hills: