Archive for the ‘Product Commentaries’ Category
If you’ve ever had a breakout or experienced acne you know how frustrating it can be. Here’s a few of our favorite acne products that will help you achieve clear glowing skin.
1. La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo – Makes a great spot treatment!
2. Topix Gly Sal 5-2 Pads – Convenient pad applicator is simple to use!
3. Jan Marini Bioglycolic Cream – Resurfaces the skin for a dramatically softer, smooth texture!
4. Baby Quasar Clear Rayz – Use LED light therapy to clear up acne and prevent future breakouts!
5. Clarisonic Mia Cleansing System – Cleanses skin 6x better than your hands alone!
Helpful tips to clear skin: Remember to never pick at pimples and avoid touching your face throughout the day. If you notice you’re always breaking out on your cheeks your pillowcase or makeup brushes may be the culprit. Make sure you wash your pillowcase and makeup brushes regularly.
You can find all of the acne fighting products mentioned above on SkinStore.com!
A retinol based product can be found in almost every beauty line available and it easy to see why. Retinol, or vitamin A, has the ability to increase collagen production. It can be used to treat a range of skin conditions from acne to visible signs of aging.
Retinol gently exfoliates the skin, removing dead skin from the surface and helping reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, scarring and dark spots. Retinol is a great addition to any skincare routine for many skin types but be aware you should allow 4-6 weeks for results to show noticeable and lasting results.
As many consumers are aware, the largest downside of retinol products is increased photo sensitivity. Because the retinol acts as an exfoliant, it exposes skin to environmental elements. It is proven that retinol does increases risk of sunburn but not an increase in development of skin cancer. It is high recommended that consumers stop tanning in UVB tanning beds while using retinol products. Users who are cautious of sun exposure or know they may be exposed can mix their retinol products with an SPF product or restrict their usage primarily at night.
Typical side effects include redness and photosensitivity. Overuse of Retinoid can cause peeling, shedding or excess dryness so it suggested that users limit their use to 3 times a week until the symptoms subside. Stop using retinol based products if skin becomes irritated, itches or burns. Active ingredients like retinol or other acids can cause activity like a light tingling sensation but should never burn. This said vitamin A or retinol products are not recommended for pregnant women or clients with skin conditions like Eczema and/or Rosacea.
Like any skincare product, if used correctly retinol can offer amazing results. Some of our retinol favorites include SkinCeuticals Retinol 0.5 or SkinCeuticals Retinol 1.0 for expereinced retinol users and SkinMedica Retinol Complex 1.0 .
You can find these great products on SkinStore.com!
Cucumbers aren’t just for your salads anymore. Who knew that this humble fruit was so impressive? The skincare benefits are endless. With 90% water content cucumbers share the same level of hydrogen that we have in our skin, which makes it the perfect pairing!
They are full of vitamins and antioxidants that help address a wide array of skincare concerns. The seeds have amazing anti-inflammatory properties; the juice is great for skin tightening and acts as a bleaching agent to give you glowing skin. Ever wonder if those cucumber slices over your eyes actually did anything? Well they do! Cucumbers have both vitamin K and silica that combat dark circles and improve circulation. You can rid toxins from eating and applying cucumber skin care products.
Peter Thomas Roth has just introduced a new cucumber skincare line. It is perfect for anyone that wants to achieve fresh, replenished, and glowing skin. There is a cleanser, serum and treatment mask that is perfect for any skin type. They are soap-free, oil-free, sulfate-free and alcohol-free. Trust me your skin will thank you!
You can find these products on SkinStore.com.
Searching high and low for a finishing spray to avoid makeup meltdown this summer? You’re not alone. We’ve all encountered brands that claim to give a flawless finish, but fall short. The “Makeup Gods” have answered our prayers! Skindinavia Makeup Finishing Spray – Oil Control, is an ultra-fine mist that controls shine for up to 16 hours. Skindinavia’s award-winning formula absorbs excess oil and keeps your makeup fresh and flawless, preventing your eye shadow and foundation from sliding or caking on hot summer nights. The Skindinavia collection also includes formulas for other concerns such as signs of aging and dryness.
You can find Skindinavia on SkinStore.com.
Are you looking for a lightweight foundation that is perfect for summer? Or a foundation that provides full coverage, but also helps to treat the skin? bareMinerals has you covered on all angles! Their new bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation is revolutionary. It’s packed with vitamin C to help brighten the skin and is clinically proven to help correct skin-tone. Created with exceptional purity in mind, this ultra-thin, skin-perfecting fluid provides seamless adjustable coverage, a natural finish and the look and feel of beautiful skin while delivering a noticeably brighter, more youthful appearance. Made with the bare minimum ingredients and formulated without oil, silicone, parabens or fragrance. It’s like nothing you’ve ever felt before. If you’re looking to treat your skin this summer this is the foundation for you!
You can find this product on SkinStore.com.
When you reach for your sunscreen, are you 100% certain you know what you are applying? Here are a few tidbits of knowledge to help you through the summer without getting burned.
Did you know that sunscreen loses its efficacy after 12 months? Ingredients that contain sun protection factors such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are active ingredients so they can’t be expected to last forever. They have a shelf life just like your peanut butter so be sure to purchase a new bottle every summer.
*Helpful tip: Mark your bottle of sunscreen with the date you bought it!
Did you know you should apply sunscreen (no matter then SPF) every TWO hours? Sunscreen does not block the sun entirely and although you may have slathered yourself with sunscreen, it is not meant to last you a whole day exposed to the Sun’s harmful rays.
*Helpful tip: If you out and about, set an alarm on your phone every two hours to remind you!
Are you covering all the necessary spots or just your nose? Ears, eyelids, the scalp, lips and feet are the most often forgotten body part when applying sunscreen. Be sure to cover these areas to protect yourself from sun damage and possible health concerns.
Helpful tip: Spray sunscreens are incredibly convenient and you can cover yourself in seconds without greasy hands! A few of our faves are La Roche Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Spray and Supergoop SPF 30 Antioxidant-Infused Sunscreen Mist with Vitamin C.
You can find these and many other SPF options on SkinStore.com!
You crawl into bed after an exhausting day. Your sleepy head hits the pillow and you are snuggled up for a much deserved restful night’s sleep when you realize you forgot to wash your face. You may think “what harm can one night of sleeping in my makeup really do?” A lot actually! Knowing what I know now about sleeping in eye makeup I can promise you I will NEVER do it again. There are the obvious drawbacks from sleeping in makeup like dirty pillow cases and waking up with makeup all over your face, but there are some more serious repercussions.
Mascara dries out eye lashes and if you are not taking the time to remove it at night your lashes are just getting brittle. They’re actually thinning, breaking and falling out. Mascara and liner cause bacteria to build up in the eye which can cause irritation, bloodshot eyes and styes. A stye is a painful bump formed in the gland of the eye. They are noticeable and to be honest quite ugly. These reasons alone are enough to make me drag my lazy butt out of bed to wash my face. But wait…there is more! EYE MITES! Eye mites are tiny microscopic bugs that live in the hair follicles of your lashes and brows. Everyone has them unfortunately, but if you don’t wash your face than you are giving them a chance to multiply. Now they have all that yummy eye makeup to munch on so they can get bigger, stronger and lay more eggs. Within a few days those eye mites have hatched, grown and are laying their own eggs. Stop the madness and wash your face!
A few of our favorite eye makeup removers and cleansers are Kate Somerville True Lash- Lash Enhancing Eye Makeup Remover, Philosophy Purity Made Simple cleanser, ARCONA Triad Pads. You can find these products on SkinStore.com.
What do you get when you combine a hair styling product with a perfume? HEAVEN! Frederic Fekkai has just introduced a new line of hair perfumes that pull double duty as a styling product by also preventing static and adding shine. Inspired scents from his Full Blown Volume Collection, PrX Reparatives Collection and Technician Color Care Collection. There is a fragrance that will suit any person or mood. Fekkai even put together a handy little kit Frederic Fekkai Hair Perfume Collection with all 3 perfumes in small travel friendly mists. This kit is a great way to find your favorite scent so you can purchase the larger 1.7 ounce size for home. This would make a great gift for anyone and priced affordably. The Citron et Menthe is a fresh scent that is “crafted with crisp mint and bright citron notes”. The Creme Vanillee is a warmer scent that has “undertones of luscious cream, it gives hair a seductive touch of exotic, sweet scent” and the Rose Fraiche is a romantic scent with “fresh rose notes, it gives hair a seductive touch of floral”. That fact that these fragrances don’t dry out hair and add shine makes it the perfect product to add to your hair care regimen.
You can find the products mentioned on SkinStore.com.
Think you know what’s causing your excess oil? It could be caused by seasonal transitions, hormones, or even medications. But before you make any lifestyle change, learn about the 5 common products in your daily skin care routine that may be the culprit, and find out how to control oily skin.
1. Your scrub. Over-doing it when it comes to exfoliating can rob your skin of its natural moisture, causing it to produce even more oil to compensate. There can be “too much of a good thing” with exfoliation, so I recommend using physical exfoliants up to 3 times a week, and keep your pressure light when massaging physical scrubs into your skin.
2. Your inadequate sunscreen. Although it might temporarily dry out your skin, a tan damages the DNA inside your skin cells and triggers an injury response that causes oil production to surge so your skin stays protected. Make sure you choose an SPF that’s labeled “broad spectrum” to keep UVA and UVB rays from doing damage, so oil production stays under control. And make it a daily habit, rain or shine – up to 80% of UV radiation can penetrate through clouds!
3. Your “squeaky” clean cleanser. You might think it’s helping your oil control cause, but using a cleanser that makes your skin feel dry and tight is doing anything but! The result is skin that’s stripped of its protective hydrolipidic barrier, causing it to rapidly produce more oil to compensate for what’s missing. Make sure you’re using a cleanser formulated for your exact skin type, to provide the moisture-to-oil balance it needs.
4. Your “one-size-fits-all” anti-ager. Anti-aging ingredients like retinol or peptides are meant to target skin aging concerns like wrinkles or firmness. If you have an Oily skin type, these formulas may be just too emollient. So choose an anti-aging night creme that’s designed specifically for oilier skin, and offers oil control along with anti-aging benefits, like Bioelements Oil Control Sleepwear.
5. Your oil blotters. A common pseudo-solution to remove excess oil is to blot it away – and not just with the blotting papers you find skin care aisles. I’ve heard people recommend everything from coffee shop napkins to toilet seat covers to beat an oily t-zone! No matter what you’re using to blot, it only pushes most of the day’s dirt, oil and makeup back in deep into your pores, where it causes breakouts, congestion, and even more oil. Stop oil at its source with an Oil Control Mattifier that balances oil production within the pore, and absorbs excess oil as it develops. Apply it under your makeup, before your SPF, to keep skin shine-free, and apply it over your makeup as needed for a pore-friendly solution to control oil throughout the day.
You can find the products mentioned above on SkinStore.com.
Brows are back in fashion. Whether you prefer a thick bold brow or a more natural look we have the perfect tools to frame that pretty face of yours. One of the top brands that’s been making waves in the cosmetic industry is Anastasia. Anastasia has reached mainstream notoriety by creating the largest assortment of award winning eyebrow products and best-selling brow pencils on the market today. Our must have products from the Anastasia line are listed below.
- NEW! Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade: A waterproof brow color ideal for sculpting, defining, and carving perfectly precise brows that won’t fade. Smudge-free, creamy formula glides on skin and adheres to hair. Must-have for oily skin and humid climates. It comes in 8 different colors Ebony, Dark Brown, Medium Brown, Soft Brown, Chocolate, Taupe, Blonde and Auburn.
- Anastasia Brow Wiz: An ultra-slim mechanical pencil to shape, define and fill in your brows for a natural, polished look. Includes a spooley brush to easily blend for a natural look.
- Anastasia Clear Brow Gel: Tame unruly brows without leaving them stiff, flaky or sticky. This clear gel formula, enriched with botanical conditioners and essential oils, can be worn alone or layered over Anastasia’s Brow Powder Duo or Brow Pencils to set your brows for a polished look that lasts all day.
Click below for a step by step tutorial on 5 Minute Bold Brows by Anastasia Beverly Hills:
You can find the products mentioned about on SkinStore.com.